We have a blog together

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Eluding Escape

What is an escape? I'd say that I have realized that video games are an escape. Almost always a video game is a false world where you have objectives to complete and in the end it was all just a game. Even if I have millions in a video game I'm still poor in real life. But recently I've noticed that even when I'm not playing video games I manage to escape using different methods.

First, at work. Some may think that there is no escape at work, because duh your time is their time. If you escape then you'll be fired. But actually, I spend alot of time at work 'not at work'. My job is simple enough that I don't need to think about it. Plus, I have the option to wear earplugs so I don't need to listen to anyone or anything either. I escape in thought. At the end of the day I couldn't really tell you what I thought about. However, I'm not completely focused on work. Actually, I'm focused as little as I can on work.

Then when I get off of work what do I do? Sometimes I'll play a card game or board game with friends. Socializing isn't escape. Right? Well, hmm... A more serious question to ponder is if you can ever be with someone else and not be escaping. I suppose we should first consider what escape means.
So far I've been vague about what escape is. But everyone knows what it is. Have you ever noticed yourself sitting in front of the TV for hours on end? Yes, you were escaping. From what? Life!
Now that I think of it, it's true. You are escaping from life. People often have big dreams and strong beliefs, but they let the monotony of everyday life get to them. They put off things they care about and value until later. As if it happened all of a sudden the escape become the important thing. My life as a video game character is more important that achieving that goal I had or making my dream come true. Or my mother that wants to see me so badly forgets I'm in the room when her favorite show comes on. Sad, isn't it? But it doesn't matter that we have so many means for escape; people could always escape and will always escape.

My challenge is to not escape from life. It isn't easy. I want to escape right now. I feel discouraged, down, defeated. An escape won't help me fulfill my dream. It won't make my life any better; I'll just forget about my troubles for a while. So back to the earlier question about if it's possible to be with someone and not escape. Well, totally it can! If you find someone in life that favors your passion for living life to it's fullest then there you have it.

Now what do I do for the rest of the night?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home